Qcodo.com Moving to a New Home!

thread: 13 messages  |  last: about 2 months ago  |  started: friday, september 16, 2011, 9:52 am pdt

#1  |  Mike Ho (San Diego, CA) United States of America Qcodo Administrator
Friday, September 16, 2011, 9:52 AM PDT

As has been the case every couple of years, the server infrastructure for Quasidea Development, which of course includes the hosting for anything and everything related to Qcodo, will be moving into a shiny, new home.

The migration process will be starting today and go throughout the weekend.

Downtime should be minimal... and in theory, if everything goes well, you shouldn't notice any issues.

But I just wanted to post this as a quick “head's up” in case you notice anything strange.

#2  |  neuroticimbecile (Manila) Philippines
Monday, September 19, 2011, 3:15 AM PDT

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the news.
I'm not sure if this is related, the SOAP example page is broken.

-eric

#3  |  Mike Ho (San Diego, CA) United States of America Qcodo Administrator
Monday, September 19, 2011, 7:20 AM PDT

Yep, it is.  Looks like there's a pesky old bug with the SOAP service and PHP 5.3, specifically.  This has been fixed in the core... but it'll take a bit of time before I can get a new build of the Examples website out onto the examples site, since it also involves doing another build/release of the framework itself and the Examples QPM package.

I'll keep you posted.

#4  |  Mike Ho (San Diego, CA) United States of America Qcodo Administrator
Monday, September 19, 2011, 9:22 AM PDT

This was posted recently by klucznik on github... and I wanted to repost here since I wanted to address it, and make sure that the rest of the community sees it and gets a chance to respond as well.

https://github.com/klucznik/qcodo/commit/df45c809b134a387755cb19aab08f5d9ccaa03c6

You should really consider start working in a team instead of working in isolation and letting the community to die. 

Thanks for the note / head's up.  I completely agree... and honestly, I thought I was working as a team with all of the other contributors thus far.

Via github, I've been more or less integrating any/all pull requests sent to me that passed muster.  Obviously, I haven't just automatically merged in all pull requests since sometimes they would break backward compatibility or I felt that the code wasn't at the level of quality that I thought would warrant being merged into the core.  But for those times that they were not, I would let the requester know, and I would usually have specific tips as to what should be changed, etc.

So for those that are making fixes to the Qcodo core and would like those changes integrated, please do send me pull requests so that I can take a look at them.

And even for folks not on github, the other approach would be for contributors to post as QPMs -- and while that has not been utilized as much, the same rules apply.  When people have requested that I incorporate a QPM, if it passed muster I would be more than happy to.  Otherwise, I would respond letting the contributor know why and what (if anything) could be altered in order to get that into the core.

Is there another / alternative approach that you think would be more viable?  I'd be curious to hear more.

(Edit: Note: when sending me patches, fixes, pull requests, etc., it's always best to send them against the most recent commit of Qcodo -- since sometimes, trying to merge against a branch that is from an older commit causes merge issues, and would likely delay the process of getting merged into the core)

#5  |  romcart (Redding, CA) United States of America Qcodo Core Contributor
Friday, September 23, 2011, 4:52 PM PDT

In my experience, any contributions made via github are pulled in by Mike very quickly, though most of my commits have been pretty small. But Mike is always responsive to questions and very willing to help with ideas and suggestions.

I would like to hear more from klucznik about what changes could be made to “start working in a team instead of working in isolation”. One possible change could be to have more transparency in areas. For example, there are 3 open pull requests currently open in github, but it is not readily apparent (to those of us not directly involved) why they haven't been pulled in. I think adding comments directly to pull requests explaining what is blocking them from being pulled would be helpful.

The only other thing on my wish list is a current roadmap. :-)

#6  |  tronics (VIE, AUT) Austria
Sunday, October 2, 2011, 3:34 PM PDT

Thanks so much for keeping up!!
Much respect. =)

#7  |  lucy gp (samoa) American Samoa
Sunday, November 16, 2014, 11:45 PM PST

I'd be curious to hear more.

#8  |  lucy gp (samoa) American Samoa
Sunday, November 16, 2014, 11:46 PM PST

though most of my commits have been pretty small. But Mike is always responsive to questions and very willing to help with ideas and suggestions.

#9  |  Sherry3zhq (London) Algeria
Tuesday, November 18, 2014, 9:41 PM PST

Very happy to read your article, in fact, I hate war. Your work gave me a great deal of inspiration. Hope I can also read your work!

#10  |  Sherry3zhq (London) Algeria
Tuesday, November 18, 2014, 9:41 PM PST

Very happy to read your article, in fact, I hate war. Your work gave me a great deal of inspiration. Hope I can also read your work!

Copyright © 2005 - 2017, Quasidea Development, LLC
This open-source framework for PHP is released under the terms of The MIT License.