Regarding demos

thread: 5 messages  |  last: about 9 years ago  |  started: monday, october 19, 2009, 6:16 pm pdt

#1  |  tronics (VIE, AUT) Austria
Monday, October 19, 2009, 6:16 PM PDT

Hello!

Mike has managed to put together a lot of inspiring applications.

It would be a killer move if we somehow managed to extract some of them into demos.
The demosite as it stands has still the 0.2x examples that are nice but somehow outdated.

But the current code would not work anymore as I understand it.
http://www.qcodo.com/wiki/qcodo/demos

Having these applications on the demo wiki would be awesome!

Regards,
tronics

#2  |  Mike Ho (San Diego, CA) United States of America Qcodo Administrator
Monday, October 19, 2009, 9:17 PM PDT

No unfortunately they do not.

Over the course of the past few years, there have been several different micro-demo applications that have been put together and documented about, but you are right in that they are all outdated right now...

My thought is that I wanted to consolidate everything into a single demo application -- and provide not only the code, but also an instruction manual / documentation on how you would go about putting that application together.

Thoughts?  What kind of “demo application” would be a good one to put together?

In the past, we have had a issue tracker, project management tool, and personal financial tracking application.  Would any of these still be a good idea?  Another thought I had would be a generic Social Networking application...

#3  |  tronics (VIE, AUT) Austria
Tuesday, October 20, 2009, 6:29 AM PDT

Hello Mike!

A few thoughts on this.

Most other frameworks used to feature a single user blog together with a screen cast showing off how easy one can build applications with that specific system.

This one can be put together pretty fast, but it is an old hat as of now.

--

>single demo applicatio.. also an instruction manual / documentation
I think screen casts - even short ones that feature just one specific task would bring a lot of attention to Qcodo.
These can be brought to attention to a few web2.0 plattforms.

--

>A generic Social Networking application
Sounds like a brilliant idea!

What do you think about a multiuser bloggingsystem that aggregates on a frontpage?

Admin
Moderators for Commentary and setting up blogs
People that can blog
Commentary
Voting of blogposts
Multilanguage

This functionality is the basis for anything like a generic Digg, or Twitter, or Wordpress Multiuser, or Onlinemagazine. And this is what most people intend to build..

Authentification, templates and formatting could be taken from the Qcodo.com branch which is a timesaver.

When an experient architect makes a layout with basic functions for a system like this probably people will adapt and enhance it until this is a real application that could finally be distributed like Wordpress.

On the way many developers will find a good starting point.

The previously available demos where no real applications. They showed only one concept like QQuery but there was still no starting point for someone who wanted to build a bigger system. People had to learn a lot first before being able to make a layout that was suitable for a growing application.
This would fill the gap.

I think of “Meta Applications” that can be installed via package manager instead of “demos”. These could be a key to success and gain traction on their own.

Cheers,
tronics

#4  |  tronics (VIE, AUT) Austria
Wednesday, October 21, 2009, 10:32 AM PDT

I left a comment at the Package Manager Wiki page with suggestions on how to improve it.

All the best,
tronics.

#5  |  comet7 (Georgia) United States of America
Wednesday, October 21, 2009, 4:21 PM PDT

For a demo application, I really liked the Issue Tracker.  I liked it because it was clean and very easy to use, but most of all, I liked it because every developer can relate to it.  I think any demo application should be aimed at the heart and sole of software development companies.  

The application I have in mind would have projects, milestones, tasks (issues).  It would also have roles for the various users, calendars, reports, and perhaps even allow users to set up their own milestone and task templates for projects that are repeated with different customers. Developers will try it out and sell Qcodo to project managers and management. Project managers and management will try it out and spread Qcodo to developers.

I know applications like are not at all sexy and can become behemoths with all sorts of rules, but I think the demo app should be kept fairly simple, providing anyone who uses it with a 10,000 foot view of the things going on and the ability to drill up, down, or across as needed.

Copyright © 2005 - 2019, Quasidea Development, LLC
This open-source framework for PHP is released under the terms of The MIT License.