Thursday, July 10 2008 - Qcodo and Zcodo Community Update

thread: 27 messages  |  last: about 10 years ago  |  started: thursday, july 10, 2008, 10:11 am pdt

#1  |  Mike Ho (San Diego, CA) United States of America Qcodo Administrator
Thursday, July 10, 2008, 10:11 AM PDT

First of all, on behalf of Mike Hostetler and myself, I wanted to thank everyone for contacting either of us directly and/or who have posted on the forums with your concerns as well as suggested plans of action for the Zcodo and Qcodo community overall.

Also, I wanted to especially thank Mike Hostetler for picking up the slack while I've been MIA over the past months, with his desire to continue to push things forward, for his Zcodo initiative and with the work he's been doing overall.

We've had some very productive conversations over the past few days, and I think we've both come to the conclusion that bringing everything together sooner than later would be the best benefit to both the framework and the community overall.

To make a long story short, we've decided on a plan of action that we think can bring the most benefit to the community in both the short and the long run.

Short Term

The short term goal is to limit the split level of effort to grow and maintain the respective communities of both Qcodo and Zcodo.  Mike Hostetler will be leading this effort to do the following:
** Bring existing Zcodo forums content into the existing Qcodo forums.
** Move the current Zcodo Wiki/Documentation and Zcodo issues tracker to wiki.qcodo.com and issues.qcodo.com, respectively.  They will become the official wiki and issues tracker for Qcodo and Zcodo.
** Work on developing single sign-on for all drupal-based community components more-seamless integration with the existing Qcodo.com user/authentication database.
** Continue to run and maintain the Zcodo codebase as a more-active/agile flavor of the Qcodo Framework on its own SVN branch.

And in the short term, Qcodo will continue to run and be maintained in its existing CVS codebase.

Longer Term (over the next 3 to 4 months)

The long term goal is to bring tighter integration of the community overall for the framework as a whole.  Also, our focus will be to provide the infrastructure for the community and the framework in order to limit the “bottleneck” that any one developer or maintainer can be to the community overall.

I will be leading this effort with a significant amount of help and assistance from Mike Hostetler:
** Migrate Qcodo to a GIT repository with a file/folder hierarchy that will allow for ease of GIT-style branching and submodules
** Assist Mike to make Zcodo a GIT-branch of the core/central Qcodo GIT respository
** Rearchitect Qcodo.com to have better community features in its forums
** Migrate the issues tracker back into the core Qcodo.com DB
** Migrate the wiki back into the core Qcodo.com DB
** Improve Qcodo.com documentation features (API and Wiki) to better-inteface with the forums, in order to have seamless commenting and discussions throughout Qcodo.com
** Provide better documentation and an easier process for code contributions from Qcodo community members into the core Qcodo release

The idea is to bring as much real-time visibility and transparency to the current state as well as the short-term and long-term next steps of the framework overall.  With that visibility, the added infrastructure components within the GIT repository will allow anyone in the community to help make those next steps.  If I become swamped, and if Mike Hostetler becomes busy with other tasks, other members of the community will still have all the tools necessary to create their own GIT-branches of the core Qcodo release, addressing the issues or feature enhancements that have been discussed in the community.  And then through the Qcodo.com infrastructure they can still publish these updates in an “unofficial” capacity to the rest of the community, without needing intervention from any of us.

The hope, as I mention above, is to limit the amount of bottleneck that any one member or developer may have on the community overall.

Bigger Picture

I think one of the most interesting posts that I read was someone who said that the success of other frameworks (and thus, the fear of Qcodo/Zcodo) is that the other successful frameworks were developed by respective consulting companies that were wholly dependent on its success in order to succeed as a company.

What's most interesting about this is that there are companies (including Quasidea) which truly are completely dependent on the success of Qcodo in order to succeed as both a consulting and a products company.

I guess the biggest issue is the lack of visibility into this.  And this is where Mike, with his company A Mountain Top, has stepped up in a big way.

Hopefully, as we progress down this path, the community overall will begin to see how dedicated all of the core contributors are in seeing Qcodo continue to grow as a successful, useful framework with a vibrant community supporting it.

As always, we look forward to your thoughts, comments and posts.

#2  |  Raphael Cangucu (Belo Horizonte, MG) Brazil
Thursday, July 10, 2008, 11:50 AM PDT

Great,

I'm running a company in Brasil that's use QCODO for all applications running PHP, we have a great experiencie using it. If do u need us for translate, just contact us.
We have a severall other controls made by ourselves and we will post at download section.

For short term , think that a great item should be: Who's using QCODO || What sites is under QCODO.

For Codificar are:
http://www.codificar.com.br
http://www.noticiaria.com.br
http://www.melodiaconquista.com.br
http://inclusaodigital.estudar.com.br/
http://verticalvert.codificar.com.br/
http://iejamg.com.br/

and a lots of other sites already done... and much more other coming!! =)

My message is: if u guys need us , just count with us!

Sorry about my english and regards!

#3  |  phredphish (Brooklyn, NY) United States of America
Thursday, July 10, 2008, 1:16 PM PDT

I'm happy to hear progress is being made on this front. I've been keeping track of (some of) the Zcodo development and was interested to see where it would go. I'm glad to hear there is plan to tie the two projects more closely together. I think that both the wiki and issue log are a big step in the right direction.

I've been using Qcodo on/off for the past few years. Hopefully I will be able to contribute more in the future!

Thanks for both of your efforts.

#4  |  will (Sydney, Australia) Australia
Thursday, July 10, 2008, 11:09 PM PDT

Mike's

This sounds great. Good effort. And welcome back mr Ho. I think some of us had lost a bit of confidence with you swamped with other stuff and the framework still not at V1.

Sounds like we are back on track.

#5  |  BigBen (Valdosta, GA) United States of America
Friday, July 11, 2008, 7:13 AM PDT

Just what I needed to hear.  We are moving forward with Qcodo on our new development project.

If there is anything I can do to help, let me know.

#6  |  brynjar (M) Iceland
Friday, July 11, 2008, 10:10 AM PDT

I'm glad to see this project back on track (as one project).

Brynjar

#7  |  Fernando Lordán (Barcelona, CAT, Spain) Spain
Friday, July 11, 2008, 1:49 PM PDT

So, if I've understood well, for the next months Qcodo will still be dead and Zcodo is the option until Mike Ho comes back.

Just a suggestion:

Free software communities tend to look at the release rythm as a project alive-meter. Currently Qcodo has the apparent image of a dead project (five months with no news and no official improvements is a deadly hit for almost any community).

To clear this image, it may be a fortunate idea to do a minor release with a pretty bunch of minor bug corrections (all in all, there are some of us that have kept working on this separatedly for our own purposes while Mike Ho wasn't here).

Just to “ping” the community again. So people will come back and we'll continue working on it together.

I myself would take this as a symptom that Mike Ho's words are for real, not only hopes. Qcodo is still a project of just one developer (a very busy one), and I think nobody can ask to wait for a long term of 3 or 4 months more just to hear more words about it. Development is a living creature, and stalling it tends to always disappoint users and developers.

[off topic]
By the way, I tend to admire more the wonders of Qcodo ORM engine, but I've recently managed a project built on ASP .NET and I've been astonished about how brilliant was Mike Ho when bringing the ASP architecture to PHP and replicating its way of developing pages. My sincere cheers and applauses go to him for the great QForms implementation.
[/off topic]

#8  |  VexedPanda (Calgary, AB) Canada
Friday, July 11, 2008, 1:51 PM PDT

It sounds like the intent is that ZCodo is that “alive” branch until Mike Ho is able to update QCodo itself.

Hopefully, with the re-merge of the community, we'll see more work being added to ZCodo again, and it will see more frequent releases as well, though the current one is only a couple months old.

#9  |  Basilieus (Tucson,AZ) United States of America
Friday, July 11, 2008, 1:53 PM PDT

I'm behind QCodo and am currently working on an E-Commerce site with it.

#10  |  animekun (Bandung) Indonesia
Sunday, July 13, 2008, 5:15 AM PDT

hi all,
i'm very glad to hear this community will unity again. Can't wait to see its coming.

ratno

Copyright © 2005 - 2018, Quasidea Development, LLC
This open-source framework for PHP is released under the terms of The MIT License.